A casino in Enid, OK???.If an Indian tribe, worked through each of the bureaucratic process while using Bureau of Indian Affairs and could build a casino in downtown Enid, would you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos around the state, you probably run into others you know from Enid, partaking inside the recreation given by the casinos. These are the same some people that have left our town and so are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping on the stores, eating on the restaurants, and staying on the hotels inside the area.
A brief history:
The power to run bingo games was one of the many concessions designed to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person made a bingo game that looked like a video slot. We supply seen the little digital bingo card at the top corner in the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos begun to spring up everywhere. After all, you had been still playing bingo, just in a very new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact involving the tribes and also the State of Oklahoma allowed the use of Vegas style slot machine games, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino could only be built within historic tribal boundaries after which placed in the trust using the U.S. government. Since Enid does not have any casino, is that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it turned out found, that prior to Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part from the Cherokee Outlet, occupied with the Cherokee people following a Treaty of New Echota as well as the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the area was a hunting ground from the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive aspects of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are taken to check here operate tribal governments and programs because of its citizens. In addition, a portion with the revenue is split with the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes make use of the revenues to boost infrastructure.
3. Related sightseeing attractions are built.
4. Jobs are created.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found that over 80 percent from the visitors to casinos were considering also doing something aside from gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions such as family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian business people.
10. Casinos provide a magnet for outside money that didn't previously exist.
11. Local resident who accustomed to travel outside of the area now stays within the area.
12. More construction jobs are made building casinos.
13. Gambling is definitely an accepted method for governments to boost funds. It is seen as a source of money that is certainly easier to obtain which is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities these businesses showed an rise in profits, attendance, and customers after a casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative elements of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on what well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes an addiction.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time invested in useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amounts of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes will also be influencing gambling as well as other policies affecting Native Americans by handing quite a bit to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there can be an increase inside the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is termed an action addiction. When gambling, the endocrine system, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more regularly, it brings about tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so it takes more gambling and better stakes, to obtain the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling illuminates the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an internet casino were to petition to make downtown Enid, what might be your opinion? Do you think it would enhance our community or bring social problems we might not want to manage?